Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Only as good...

For the first time in I can't remember when, I lost in the opening round of a tennis tournament.  Although we received a "bye" in the first round we went on to lose 6/3, 6/3 in the second round.  What makes this more frustrating is that we lost to a team that we should have been able to put away with our eyes closed. 

Leading in the first set with two breaks, we started missing easy put-aways and our volleys turned to crap.  I started volleying at the opponent giving them a second chance at a shot and James started having a hard time with his first serve which led to a few doubles and some un-pretty rallies from the baseline.  I tried to poach the net as often as possible but they were smart and really focused their efforts on James. 

The thing with Doubles is that you are only as strong as your partner is on that day.  If either of you are having a bad day, there is almost nothing you can do but hope that the other team is having it just as bad.  Unfortunately for us last night, they weren't.  That is why I prefer singles.  If I lose, there is no doubt that it was all me.  There is no transfer of blame or even the notion of it.  Pointing the finger is soooo much easier in doubles.

Alas, I hope we can get our shit together quickly.  Our city tournament in Montreal is only 2 weeks away and I have won that tournament in the past so it would not be good to lose in the opening rounds.

No comments: