Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Wall

Since I have been back at the gym hitting the weights with my 5x5x5x5 program (which is awesome), I have been super careful with my diet.  If I am heading to the Bahamas in November, I want to be in some kind of reasonable shape.  Thus my day to day food has been limited to natural foods, meat, veggies and lots of soup.  I love soup in the fall/wintertime.  I make a mean rice veggie cabbage soup.  I have at least three big bowls a day.  Yum.  (I am not on the cabbage soup diet!!)

Well I guess my body hasn't made the calorie reduction transition yet because in my 120 minute spin class last night, I hit the wall hard.  I was soaking wet sweating up a storm and then all the sudden I started to get a chill.  Then I stopped sweating altogether.  Within minutes I got that dizzy/nauseous feeling and had to pull back on the attacks and hill climbs.  Forget the intervals.  I wasn't going near them.  I scraped by the next 4 tracks to the finish but only at about 30%.  I had nothing left.  Nada.  Even if I wanted to push, my energy output was just not there. 

I never realized that such a small reduction in calories can have such an impact on your levels of energy while working out.  I will have to rejig my numbers to make sure that doesn't happen again.  It did not feel good at all. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love soup too. Almost every day during the fall/winter I have a bowl of soup for lunch. As for the line "I want to be in some kind of reasonable shape" pfffft ... I'm sure you're in great shape. ~Christine~