Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Not a pinched nerve...

Doc says it is not a pinched nerve.  But that doesn't mean the news is good.  3 years ago when I feel at an inline race and herniated my back and groin I had to go through almost a year of physio to get back into shape.  Seems that injury will haunt me for the rest of my life.

They are not sure what happened 3 years ago exactly since I never went for an MRI.  However, they are quite positive that it was a herniated lumbar disk T12/L1.  It is an injury that will more than likely stay with me forever considering the sports that I do.  All of which require strong hips, thighs and groin muscles. 

I haven't been able to go for an MRI here either because my medical insurance card for Quebec hasn't been processed yet.  But that is my fault.  I really have to get on that. 

Needless to say, I need to change things up in the future and start taking better care of that region.  Seems I will have to start yoga.  Yuk.  lol 

So the verdict is to get off the couch and out of bed and begin doing normal things right away.  No gym and no activities for now but I have been instructed not to favor the area.  Active recovery it is called.  Sounds painful.  My balls are killing me so I am not entirely fond of this recommendation.  lol 

2 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Welcome to the Herniated Disk club! I've got three! (But don't let it stop you. I refuse to let it stop me.)

Get yourself a 10s unit--you know one of those electrical stim things that they hook you up with at physical therapy. I had a doctor tell me once that the reason a herniated disc causes pain, is because you'll twist it somehow and the fluid from the inner disk will leak out. There's a protein in that fluid that the body doesn't like... it's similar to the protein a bee stings you with. That protein causes inflammation, so treat it as if inflamed instead of pinched. (Ice, ibuprofen, electric stim, etc.)

There's also a book I recommend called "Healing Back Pain" by Dr. Sarno. Many believe it's foo-foo, but I swear by it. If I had your address, I'd send you a copy. Serious. I bought 12 one year and gave them to everyone I know with back pain.

(You didn't ask for all that, but I figured that's what blogs are for... for some know-it-all punk to prance in and deliver.)

Sincerely,
Prancing, know-it-all punk

lifein360 said...

Well it is a club I would rather NOT be a part of but it looks like I am a member for life now. Argh. A week later and I am still suffering. I hate this.

I will look into one of those machines. I have never even seen one before.

Why on earth would you buy 12 of anything?....unless Nutella was on sale. ;)

PS. Don't EVER feel like you can't ramble on. I appreciate any help and guidance in this. I will send you my addy via FB.