Thursday, August 4, 2011

Woozy

Today is day....9 or 10 in my gluten free experiment that I am conducting on myself for my friend Kim (she's in super smart school taking super smart courses about eating and stuff).  In passing one day, she asked if I would be her test subject for a gluten diet and although we really didn't discuss it further, I thought it may be a fun idea.  Alas, day 9. 

The first few days were what i will call "weening" days.  I still had wheat products but just less of them.  By this past Monday, they were all but gone from my eating menu.  Which is a lot harder than you might think.  Wheat is in EVERYTHING!!  Even toothpaste I have been recently told.  WTF? 

Other than that, nothing has changed.  I haven't changed my exercise routines, my snacking or meal plans...nada.  Business as usual.  I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing because today is the very first day where I find myself feeling exhausted and run down.  Sure the cravings have been brutal and the urge to eat a bagel has sometimes been overwhelming but up until now I have stayed strong.  Last night, I dreamt (all night long) about making my own garlic bread loaves.  How desperate can I get.  Dreaming about bread?  Cmon!

Anyway, ya...today I feel like crap.  I played squash last night and it was clear that I just didn't have the energy that I normally did.  I usually lead in games by at least a 6 or 7 game margin but last night we tied at 5 all.  A far cry from my slaying of my partner last week at 9/2.  Same with my tennis game as of late.  I am mentally there on the court but physically my body is not moving with the speed and agility I am used to.  I am so tired and wiped.  I am not sure if it is a result of all this no gluten products or not.  Maybe my body is just going through one of the phases associated with this transition.  Are there phases....who knows? 

What I do know is that I would love to go back to bed....after eating a large pizza.  Or maybe just a plate of Pad Thai.  I am not sure how I am going to make it through these next 3 weeks. 

No comments: