Monday, September 19, 2011

What a weekend

Picked up the nephews early on Saturday morning and headed downtown for the Army Run.  16000 or so crazy people sprinting either a 5k or 21k.  Turn out was awesome.

My nephew Connor, participating in his very first event like this pulled in a shocking time.  The 17 year old crossed the line in 36th place with a time of 18:03.  How crazy is that!!  Brennan pulled in a 23:28 which is also pretty impressive for his very first race.  My doppleganger pulled in a 23:19 so I am pretty satisfied with that. 

From the race, I headed home to change and eventually made my way to indoor climbing.  My first time.  I could have sworn I had done this before...I was positive...but once I walked in I was pretty sure I hadn't done it.  My fear of heights would have kept me far away.  After a short lesson on the rope system, we were off to the races.  My first two climbs were anxiety ridden and were done so fast I could barely remember them.  I was just so focused on doing it and getting it done that I didn't pay attention to anything else.  By the end of the day, I was a bit more comfortable and was able to climb with a greater sense of enjoyment.  I will have to go back soon so as not to lose the feeling.  Cathou and Michel were naturals and were obviously at another level.  Michel was spiderman up on those walls.  It was very cool to watch.

Today marks day 1 of "back to the gym" training.  Spinning for 2 hours with a yoga class to finish it off.  Tonight will be one spin class only as I need to get a feel for the bike again and I don't want to over train my calf which is only now feeling better.  I am taking everyones advice and trying not to overtrain.  Not sure I will be successful.  ;) 

No comments: