Sunday, April 8, 2012

Open Season

Well most of the crew got together yesterday for our first "real" ride of the season.  Organized by Ray and Tanya, it ended up being a great turn out.  Thanks you two.

Knowing me, you instantly know how I feel about cold.  I despise it.  So as you can imagine, I had more layers on than.....well I had a lot.  4 at last count.  Still a bit chilled but I managed.

I quickly learned that bulking at the gym during the winter and focusing ONLY on weights means you pay a dear dear price when you begin an activity that requires a cardio base.  Climbing the Gatineau hills is (for me) about as extreme as I want to get when it comes to cycling.  For most of the jaunt I was sucking wind like Heidi Fleise.  Needless to say, after the nausea passed, I was able to make it to the top and then back to the bottom unscathed.  I think I might have been last to pull in but that doesn't bother me in the least.  I did it and that is that.  Not like these guys can play a 3.5 hour tennis match now.  ;)

I need to learn to not judge myself against the other cyclist whipping by me.  LOL  It is so easy to conjure up nasty thoughts of your friends as they zoom by or overtake you on the climbs.  And the pros that are up there...well they are crazy.  Their climbs look as effortless as the downhills.  And they are no smaller than me, make no mistake.  Some of these guys are big guys.  Bastards.  It doesn't help that I brake the entire way down the hills.  Speed is not my friend.  Need to get over that. 

Anyway, it was a great day and it felt perfect seeing everyone again.  I will not play tennis before doing that climb again.  That was a good lesson learned.  But I look forward to getting back onto that climb to conquer it at a reasonable time.  In the meantime, time to get these lungs back into shape.  Where is that heart rate monitor again.....

No comments: