Wednesday, August 8, 2012

So that's that.

My running challenge seems to be over before it even had a chance to start.  Last September when I tore my right soleus muscle (calf) while running, it took about 8 weeks to get back to the point where I could walk without pain.  Through out the winter and spring, I focused on light cardio and tennis which didn't seem to strain the muscle, unless I was moving backwards (strange).  Well fast forward a few months.

In June, I decided to get new shoes and try running one more time.  I began really slow and hit the treadmill 3 times a week for nothing more than 3km per session.  Nothing fast, just easy.  I felt the "pressure" on both legs almost right away but began an immediate stretching program to help out.  Things were going okay.  Not great but ok.  Over the past weeks, my left leg, not the previously injured one started to pull a bit more than usual.  To the point where it was getting hard to ignore.  So I stopped the cardio and just hit the weights.

Today, I taped up the left leg and did some light lunges at the gym during a class.  20 mins in I felt the right calf pop and that was that.  The left did just fine.  So now I have a strain in my left and a tear in my right.  WTF.

So that's that.  Nothing I can do now.  Can't really walk or put any pressure on my right leg.  I had to pull out of the 24 hour Inline race which sucks.  Letting down a team is never a good feeling.  Especially since I really haven't been skating much this summer. 

Trying to book an MRI but wait times are 4-6 weeks which is about the recovery time needed.  Sigh.  So I am going to get a prescription for some Active Release Treatments and hit the physio right away.  Need to be on my feet in Greece and Italy in a few weeks.  No excuses.  Hopefully the docs can provide some more permanent solutions.  I can't afford this scenario to continue.

No comments: