Monday, December 17, 2012

Recovery week #2 and a reality check.

So, in the P90 program, they build in recovery weeks to allow your body to rest and forget the hardships of the past 40 some days.  Does it work?  Absolutely.  Do I like it?  Hell no.  I do not like being away from a weight lifting scenario for too long.  7 days isn't bad and I know I can handle it but damn...Xmas is just around the corner!  If there is a time I need the extra calorie burn it is now.   I will do my best to get some extra tennis in and maybe some spinning to compliment all the stretching and yoga for this week.  Not to mention my physio is still on the schedule.

I am officially half way through the program.  I am really enjoying the results so far.  Could I be eating better?   Yes.  There is no doubt.  But that is about to change as well.  Got some not fun news that will force me to make better choices.

Over the past few weeks I haven't been feeling 100%.  Something has been off and I couldn't put my finger on it.  So I went to my fam doc a week back and had a blood test.  Stress with work, the home renovations...etc.  It was all building up.  I also had him check on some new cysts I am getting on my face.  Especially around my eyes and on my eyelids.  My moms neurofibromatosis really kicked in when she was in her 40s and now covers half of her face even after 2 surgeries.  I figured this was going to be the time for me as well.  As I carry the same genes and already have some spots here and there, I just accepted that this was the beginning.  Anyway, although he didn't discard this possibility, he actually believed them to be a xanthoma.  Fatty cholesterol deposits that surround the eye when lipids are high.  Which leads me back to my blood test.  Seems I have high cholesterol.  So with those factors in play together, he told me not to worry too much but still....all things considered, he advises I pay more attention to my diet and focus on better choices.  If I do that, the lumps should go down.  Not to mention, since I have already been under the knife for similar lumpoma surgeries, I need to be extra careful moving forward.  Looks like my weekly chinese food binges will need to be altered to allow more veggies and less fried tofu and peanut butter sauces.

I know having high cholesterol doesn't seem like much but it is kinda freaking me out a bit.  Although 99% of my family dies from cancer, the idea of having a heart attack is not fun.  I always thought my fitness would protect me from all this but supposedly you can have the best body ever but still have clogged arteries.  Who knew? So moving forward, it is time for me to really give my head a shake and get it together.


No comments: