Monday, October 21, 2013

Welcoming a Beat Down

The winter ladder has begun and yours truly is the #1 seed.  Feeling great about that as I have been playing so great this past year.  A few hiccups here and there but overall, my play has been powerful, consistent and successful.  Looking forward to continuing the streak.  Except....

I hear through the grapevine that there are some contenders this year that might push me to the limits and who may steal the top ranking from me.  For me, I welcome this kind of news.  If a player beats me, I am totally open to that experience.  Well let me qualify that comment.  I am fine with losing a match when I know I have played my best.  If my opponent is better than me, I have little choice but to celebrate their success and endeavor to do better next time. 

Losing to someone who just happens to edge you on that particular day is one of the most frustrating feelings for athletes.  I am sure it haunts many of us.  Knowing that you are better but yet being unable to pull your skills and strategy together for a match is not so easily forgotten by me.  It doesn't happen often but when it does.....I am not a nice person to be around.  And you don't have to lose outright either.  SOOOOO many matches have ended in my favor and yet my attitude was foul as I knew I performed well below the standard to which I hold myself.  This happened this past week.  I won but my play was unfocused, nervous and lacked the killer instinct.  Something I had to take note of (literally) and will remind myself of next time I play this person. 

Next match is on Thurs.  I will review my playbook for this player later in the week and adapt my game accordingly.  Will update after.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to playing these new players and seeing the games they bring to the table.  I always welcome a well fought beat down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to reading your updates as I enjoy them. And this update is no exception. Here's hoping your attitude remains good and doesn't cross the line into foulness. ~christine~